The adventures of a shoe-loving, book-hoarding, pet-collecting mom as I blindly dive into the world of Organic Gardening. This is a journal of what I've found that works, and what crashes and burns. It's made for real people who just want some cool new adventures in their own back yard.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Week Two: The flower edition

My youngest son is going to Hawaii today for 8 days (with his dad and some family friends.)  Being a teacher, I have been teaching him all about Hawaii for a month.  He pointed out that his two favorite flowers in Hawaii are Birds of Paradise and Hibiscus.Being that I'll miss him terribly, and I have nothing else to do, garden-wise, I decided to see if my pink thumb also worked with flowers (I've NEVER been able to successfully grow flowers.)  Surprisingly, both plants were available at Home Depot.  I purchased two Birds of Paradise - one black/white and one orange/white, and five hibiscus.  This way, when my son returns, he'll have a Hawaiian surprise waiting for him.
Digging the holes in AZ soil was the most difficult.  It was much easier when I wet the soil down.  I filled the large holes with a 50/50 mix of Miracle Grow soil and manure.  All hibiscus and one Bird of Paradise are in the front of the house with northern exposure.  The other BOP is in back under a large shade tree with lots of sun exposure.  I topped off each plant with a 4-6" layer of compost mulch.

No comments:

Post a Comment